1. Freedman LS. A note on Aherne’s method of counting tissue components in relatively thick sections. J Microsc 1974;100:219.
2. Freedman LS. Cusums (letter). The Lancet 1974;i:41.
3. Freedman LS, Dent NA, Hunt C, Payne PM, Smith PG. Incidence of childhood leukaemia (letter). The Lancet 1974;i:1059.
4. Cave DR, Freedman LS. Seasonal variations in the clinical presentation of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Int J Epidemiol 1975;4:317-20.
5. Cave L, Freedman LS. A statistical evaluation of the radiotoxicity of inhaled plutonium in insoluble form. Proceedings of IAEA Symposium, San Francisco, November 1975, IAEA-SM-119/1.
6. Freedman LS, White SJ. On the use of Pocock and Simon’s method for balancing treatment numbers over prognostic factors in the controlled clinical trial. Biometrics 1976;32:691-4.
7. Pigache RM, Graham BR, Freedman LS. A modification of the Johnson-Neyman technique comparing two regressions, applied to treatment effects dependent on baseline levels. Biological Psychology 1976;4:213-36.
8. Hood JD, Poole JP, Freedman LS. The influence of eye colour on temporary threshold shift. Audiology 1976;15:449-64.
9. Ball J, Freedman LS, Sissons HA. Malignant round-cell tumours of bone: an analytical histological study from the Cancer Research Campaign’s Bone Tumour Panel. Br J Cancer 1977;36:254-68.
10. Garrett MJ, Das S, Smith JD, Freedman LS. Long term experience with combination chemotherapy in advanced Hodgkin’s disease. Clin Oncol 1977;3:145.
11. Garrett MJ, Hughes HJ, Freedman LS. A comparison of radiotherapy alone with radiotherapy and CCNU in cerebral glioma. Clin Oncol 1978;4:71.
12. Freedman LS. Variations in the level of reporting by hospitals to a regional cancer registry. Br J Cancer 1978;37:861-5.
13. White SJ, Freedman LS. Allocation of patients to treatment groups in a controlled clinical study. Br J Cancer 1978;37:849.
14. Freedman LS, Edwards DN. The treatment of carcinoma in situ of the uterine cervix in the Mersey Regional Cancer Registry area with some comments on incidence. Clin Radiol 1978;29:593-8.
15. Freedman LS, Rubin SG. Limitations of mortality data as a guide to comparative lung cancer incidence within an urban area. Public Health 1979;93:111-6.
16. Freedman LS. The use of a Kolmogorov-Smirnov type statistic in testing hypotheses about seasonal variation. J Epidemiol Community Health 1979;33:223-8.
17. Freedman LS, Edwards DN, McConnell EM, Downham DY. Histological grade and other prognostic factors in relation to survival of patients with breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1979;40:44-55.
18. Haybittle JL, Freedman LS. Some comments on the logrank statistic in clinical trial applications. The Statistician 1979;28:199-208.
19. Tate HC, Rawlinson JB, Freedman LS. Randomized comparative studies in the treatment of cancer in the United Kingdom. Room for improvement? The Lancet 1979; ii:623-5.
20. White RAS, Workman P, Freedman LS, Owen LN, Bleehen NM. The pharmacokinetics of misonidazole in the dog. Euro J Cancer 1979;15:1233‑42.
21. Freedman LS. Problems involved in multi-centre studies of cancer treatment. Cancer Topics 1980;3:10-11.
22. Freedman LS. Critique of “Misonidazole” - a drug for trial in radiotherapy and oncology (letter). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1980;6:1275.
23. Warenius HM, Freedman LS, Bleehen NM. The response of human tumour xenograft to chemotherapy: intrinsic variation between tumours and its significance in planning experiments. Br J Cancer 1980;41(suppl IV):128.
24. Scotcher S, Sikora K, Freedman LS. Gastric cancer and cimetidine - does delay in diagnosis matter? (letter). The Lancet 1981;ii:630.
25. Freedman LS. Watson’s UN2 statistic for a discrete distribution. Biometrika 1981;68:708-11.
26. Freedman LS. Tables of the number of patients required in clinical trials using the logrank test. Stat Med 1982;1:121-9.
27. MRC Rectal Cancer Working Party. A trial of preoperative radiotherapy in the management of operable rectal cancer. Br J Surg 1982;69:513-9.
28. Freedman LS, Spiegelhalter DJ. The assessment of subjective opinion and its use in relation to stopping rules for clinical trials. The Statistician 1983;32:153-60.
29. Freedman LS. Discussion of “Clinical trials: statistical developments of practical benefit to the pharmaceutical industry.” JRSS Series A 1983;146:387.
30. Freedman LS. Discussion of “Scoring to provide risk-related primary health care: evaluation and updating during use.” JRSS Series A 1983;146:22.
31. Freedman LS, Lowe D, Macaskill P. Stopping rules for clinical trials. Stat Med 1983;2:167-74.
32. MRC Misonidazole Working Party. A study of the effect of misonidazole in conjunction with radiotherapy for the treatment of grades 3 and 4 astrocytoma. Br J Radiol 1983;56:673-82.
33. Richards B, Bastable JRG, Freedman LS, Glashan RW, Harris G, Newling DWW, Robinson MRG, Smith PH, Yorkshire Urological Cancer Research Group. Adjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin (Adriamycin) and 5-fluorouracil in T3, NX, MO bladder cancer treated with radiotherapy. Br J Urol 1983;55:386.
34. Smedley HM, Sinnott M, Freedman LS, Macaskill P, Naylor CPE, Pillers EMK. Age and survival in prostatic carcinoma. Br J Urol 1983;55:529‑33.
35. MRC Rectal Cancer Working Party. The evaluation of low dose preoperative X-ray therapy in the management of operable rectal cancer: results of a randomly controlled trial. Br J Surg 1984;71:21.
36. MRC Rectal Cancer Working Party. Clinico-pathological features of prognostic significance in operable rectal cancer in 17 centres in the U.K. Br J Cancer 1984;50:435.
37. Freedman LS, Macaskill P, Smith AN. Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors for operable rectal cancer. Lancet 1984;ii:733-736.
38. Freedman LS, Lowe D, Macaskill P. Stopping rules for clinical trials incorporating clinical opinion. Biometrics 1984;40:575-86.
39. MRC Misonidazole Working Party. The Medical Research Council trial of misonidazole in carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Br J Radiol 1984;57:491.
40. MRC Misonidazole Working Party. A study of the effect of misonidazole in conjunction with radiotherapy for the treatment of head and neck cancer. Br J Radiol 1984;57:585.
41. MRC Testicular Tumour Working Party. Prognostic factors in advanced non-seminomatous germ-cell testicular tumours. Lancet 1985;i:8-11.
42. Lachmann PJ, Grant RM, Freedman LS, Sikora K, Bleehen NM. A preliminary trial of a novel form of active immunotherapy in squamous cell carcinoma of the lung. Br J Cancer 1985;51:415-7.
43. Freedman LS. Interpretation of clinical trials (letter). Br J Radiol 1985;58:189.
44. Freedman LS. Interpretation of clinical trials (reply to Dr. Bates). Br J Radiol 1985;58:686.
45. White RAS, Jefferies AR, Freedman LS. Clinical staging for oropharyngeal malignancies in the dog. J Small Animal Practice 1985;26:581.
46. MRC Urological Working Party. Intravesical thiotepa for superficial bladder tumours: an MRC randomized study. Br J Urol 1985;57:680.
47. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. A predictive approach to selecting the size of a clinical trial based on subjective clinical opinion. Stat Med 1986;5:1-13.
48. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS, Blackburn PR. Monitoring clinical trials: conditional or predictive power? Controlled Clin Trials 1986;7:8-17.
49. Ostrowski K, Watson JV, Barnard PJ, Barnard EA, Thomas K, Freedman LS, De Stavola B. The application of flow cytophotometry in measurements of cell adhesion. Histochemistry 1986;85:423-9.
50. Freedman LS. Pocock and Simon method. In: Kotz S, Johnson NL, Read CB, eds. Encyclopedia of statistical sciences, Vol 7. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1986;12-4.
51. Hall R, Calvert H, De Stavola B, Freedman LS, Goodman S, Kaye S, Rogers A. Phase II trials in metastatic bladder cancer (letter). The Lancet 1986;i:1028.
52. MRC Superficial Bladder Cancer Subgroup. Benign ulcers after bladder instillation of Mitomycin-C (letter). The Lancet 1986;i:45.
53. Byar D, Kaihara S, Sylvester R, Freedman LS, Hannigan J, Koiso K, Oohashi Y, Tsugawa R. Statistical analysis techniques and sample size determination for clinical trials of treatment for bladder cancer. In: Denis L, Niijima T, Prout G, Schroder F, eds. Developments in bladder cancer, Vol 221. New York: Alan R. Liss, 1986;49-64.
54. MRC Urological Working Party. A phase II study of Carboplatin in metastatic transitional cell carcinoma. Eur J Clin Oncol 1987;23:375-7.
55. Freedman LS. Evaluating and comparing imaging techniques: a review and classification of study designs. Br J Radiol 1987;60:1071-81.
56. Begg C, Pocock SJ, Freedman LS, Zelen M. The state of the art in comparative cancer clinical trials: a survey of the literature. Cancer 1987;60:2811-5.
57. Freedman LS. Statistical methods of evaluating and comparing imaging techniques. In: Bleehen NM, ed. Investigational techniques in oncology. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1987;35-54.
58. Freedman LS, Parkinson MC, Jones WG, Oliver RTD, Peckham MJ, Read G, Newlands ES, Williams CJ on behalf of the MRC Testicular Tumor Subgroup (Urological Working Party). Histopathology in the prediction of relapse of patients with Stage I testicular teratoma treated by orchidectomy alone: a Medical Research Council Collaborative Study. Lancet 1987;ii:294‑7.
59. Stenning SP, Freedman LS, Bleehen NM. An overview of published results from randomized studies of nitrosoureas in primary high grade malignant glioma. Br J Cancer 1987;56:89-90.
60. Howard GCW, Sathiaseelan V, Freedman LS, Bleehen NM. Hyperthermia and radiation in the treatment of superficial malignancy: an analysis of treatment parameters, response and toxicity. Int J Hyperthermia 1987;3:1‑8.
61. Oliver RTD, Freedman LS, Parkinson MC, Peckham MJ. Medical options in the management of stage 1 and 2 (N0-N3,M0) testicular germ cell tumors. In: Donohue JP, ed. Controversies in urologic oncology. Urologic clinics in North America 1987;14(4):721-8.
62. Freedman LS, Honess DJ, Bleehen NM, Adems GED, Dische S, Henk JM. Does initial hemoglobin level modify the efficiency of radiosensitizers? An analysis of the MRC Misonidazole studies in head and neck cancer and cervix cancer (letter). Int J Rad Biol 1987;51:965-7.
63. Spiegelhalter DJ, Parmar MKB, Freedman LS. Clinical trials (letter). New Scientist 1987, December 10, 62.
64. Freedman LS. Statistics in Medicine. In: Kotz S, Johnson NL, Read CB, eds. Encyclopedia of statistical sciences, Vol 8. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1988;738-9.
65. Haybittle JL, Freedman LS. Cancer: the failure of treatment (letter). Br J Radiol 1988;61:173.
66. Hoyle CF, Swirsky DM, Freedman LS, Hayhoe FGJ. Beneficial effect of heparin in the management of patients with APL. Br J Hematol 1988;68:283‑9.
67. Freedman LS, Workman P. When can infusion time be safely ignored in the estimation of pharmacokinetic parameters of drugs in humans? Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 1988;22:95-103.
68. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. A predictive approach to selecting the size of a clinical trial, based on subjective opinion. Recent Results in Cancer Res 1988;111:195-206.
69. Tolley DA, Hargreave TB, Smith PH, Williams JL, Grigor KM, Parmar MKB, Freedman LS, Uscinska BM. The effect of intravesical mitomycin-C on the recurrence of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer. Interim report of an MRC study. Br Med J 1988;296:1759-61.
70. Freedman LS, De Stavola B. Comparing the effects of different durations of the same therapy. Stat Med 1988;7:1013-21.
71. Chilvers CED, Fayers PM, Freedman LS, Greenwood RM, Machin D, Palmer N, Westlake AJ. Improving the quality of data in randomized clinical trials: the COMPACT computer package. Stat Med 1988;7:1165-70.
72. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. Bayesian approaches to clinical trials. In: Proceedings of the Third Valencia International Meeting on Bayesian Statistics, June 1987. Bayesian Statistics 1988;3:453-77.
73. Freedman LS. The size of clinical trials in cancer research - what are the current needs? Br J Cancer 1989;59:396-400.
74. Freedman LS, Sylvester R, Byar DP. Using permutation tests and bootstrap confidence limits to analyze repeated events data. Controlled Clin Trials 1989;10:129-41.
75. Byar DP, Freedman LS. Clinical trials of diet and cancer. Prev Med 1989;18:203-19.
76. Parmar MKB, Freedman LS, Hargreave TB, Tolley DA. Prognostic factors for recurrence and follow-up policies in the treatment of superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 1989;142:284-8.
77. Freedman LS, Pee D. Return to a note on screening regression equations. Am Statistician 1989;43(4):279-82.
78. Freedman LS, Spiegelhalter DJ. Comparison of Bayesian with group sequential methods for monitoring clinical trials. Controlled Clin Trials 1989;10:357-67.
79. Bleehen NM, Freedman LS, Stenning SP. A randomized study of CCNU with and without benznidazole in the treatment of recurrent grades 3 and 4 astrocytoma. Report to the Medical Research Council by the Brain Tumor Working Party. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989;16:1077-81.
80. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. Discussion of “Interim analyses: the repeated confidence interval approach.” JRSS Series B 1989;51:335-7.
81. Green SB, Ellenberg SS, Finkelstein D, Forsythe AB, Freedman LS, Freeman K, Lefkopoulou M, Schoenfeld D, Smith RP. Issues in the design of drug trials for AIDS. Controlled Clin Trials 1990;11:80-7.
82. Freedman LS, Green SB. Statistical designs for investigating several interventions in the same study: methods for cancer prevention trials. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990;82(11):910-4.
83. Freedman LS, Byar DP. Comment on “Hypothesis versus significance testing for controlled clinical trials: a dialogue” by David Salsburg. Stat Med 1990;9:213-4.
84. Freedman LS. The effect of partial noncompliance on the power of a clinical trial. Controlled Clin Trials 1990;11:157-68.
85. Schatzkin A, Clifford C, Freedman LS, Byar DP, Greenwald P. Breast cancer: the dietary fat-breast cancer hypothesis: is it really alive? (letter) JAMA 1990; 263:237-8.
86. Freedman LS, Javadpour N, Sylvester R, Aso Y, Debruyne FMJ, Fossa SD, Geller N, Horwich A, Levine L, Mostofi FK, Murphy GP, Simon R, Stenning SP, Stoter G. Basic principles of clinical trials as applied to testicular cancer. In: Newling DWW, Jones WG, eds. EORTC Genitourinary Group Monograph 7: prostate cancer and testicular cancer. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1990;255-66.
87. Byar DP, Freedman LS. The importance and nature of cancer prevention trials. Semin Oncol 1990;17(4):413-24.
88. Pee D, Freedman LS. A stratified Wilcoxon-type test for trend. Stat Med 1990; 9:829-34.
89. Freedman LS, Green SB, Byar DP. Assessing the gain in efficiency due to matching in a Community Intervention Study. Stat Med 1990;9:943-52.
90. MRC Brain Tumor Working Party. Prognostic factors for high-grade malignant glioma: development of a prognostic index. J Neurooncol 1990;9:47-55.
91. Freedman LS, Clifford C, Messina M. Analysis of dietary fat, calories, body weight and the development of mammary tumors in rats and mice: a review. Cancer Res 1990;50:5710-9.
92. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. Discussion of “Biostatistics and Bayes” by N. Breslow. Statistical Science 1990;5:292-4.
93. Byar DP, Schoenfeld DA, Green SB, Amato DA, Davis R, De Gruttola V, Finkelstein DM, Gatsonis C, Gelber RD, Lagakos S, Lefkopoulou M, Tsiatis AA, Zelen M, Peto J, Freedman LS, Gail M, Simon R, Ellenberg SS, Anderson JR, Collins R, Peto R, Peto T. Design considerations for AIDS trials. N Engl J Med 1990;323:1343-8.
94. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A, Wax Y. The impact of dietary measurement error on planning sample size required in a cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 1990;132:1185-95.
95. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Schiffman M, Dawsey SM. The validation of intermediate endpoints in cancer research. J Natl Cancer Inst 1991;82:1746‑52.
96. Cohen-Mansfield J, Werner P, Marx MS, Freedman LS. Two studies of pacing in the Nursing Home. J Gerontol 1991;46:M77-M83.
97. Freedman LS, Carroll RJ, Wax Y. Estimating the relation between dietary intake obtained from a food frequency questionnaire and true average intake. Am J Epidemiol 1991;134(3):310-20.
98. Freedman LS, Clifford CK. Enhancement of mammary carcinogenesis by high levels of dietary fat and its association with ad libitum feeding (letter). J Natl Cancer Inst 1991;83(4):299-301.
99. Freedman LS, Spiegelhalter DJ. Response to Letter to the Editor. Controlled Clin Trials 1991;12:346-50.
100. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A. The authors reply (letter). Am J Epidemiol 1991;134:1472-3.
101. Henson DE, Ries L, Freedman LS, Carriaga M. Relationship among outcome, stage of disease and histologic grade for 22,616 cases of breast cancer. Cancer 1991;68:2142-9.
102. Baker SG, Freedman LS, Parmar MKB. Using replicate observations in observer agreement studies with binary assessments. Biometrics 1991;47:1327-38.
103. Freedman LS, Spiegelhalter DJ. Application of Bayesian statistics to decision making during a clinical trial. Stat Med 1992;11:23-36.
104. Freedman LS, Graubard BI, Schatzkin A. Statistical validation of intermediate endpoints for chronic diseases. Stat Med 1992;11:167-78.
105. Hughes MD, Freedman LS, Pocock SJ. The impact of stopping rules on heterogeneity of results in overviews of clinical trials. Biometrics 1992;48:41‑53.
106. Hulton MR, Levin DL, Freedman LS. Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of low-dose oral interferon-a in HIV-1 antibody positive patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1992;5:1084‑90.
107. Freedman LS. Obituary: David Peery Byar. JRSS, Series A 1992;155:464-5.
108. Fielding LP, Fenoglio-Preiser C, Freedman LS. Identification and evaluation of new prognostic factors. Cancer 1992;70:2367-77.
109. Freedman LS, Pee D, Midthune DN. The problem of underestimating the residual error variance in forward stepwise regression. The Statistician 1992;41:405-12.
110. Greenwald P, Witkin KM, Malone WF, Byar DP, Freedman LS, Stern HR. The study of biological effect in cancer prevention research trials. Int J Cancer 1992;52:189-96.
111. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A. Sample size for studying intermediate endpoints within intervention trials or observational studies. Am J Epidemiol 1992;136:1148-59.
112. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A, Schiffman M. Statistical validation of intermediate markers of precancer for use as endpoints in chemoprevention trials. J Cell Biochem 1992;(suppl 16G):27-32.
113. Freedman LS. Replicating community studies. In: Holder H, Howard JM, eds. Community prevention trials for alcohol problems: methodological issues. Westport CT: Praeger, 1992.
114. Cohen-Mansfield J, Marx MS, Werner P, Freedman LS. Temporal patterns of agitated nursing home residents. International Psychogeriatrics 1992;4:197‑206.
115. Freedman LS, Parmar MKB, Baker SG. The design of observer agreement studies with binary assessments. Stat Med 1993;12:165-79.
116. Freedman LS, Prentice RL, Clifford C, Harlan W, Henderson M, Rossouw J. Dietary fat and breast cancer: where we are. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:764‑5.
117. Freedman LS, Prentice RL, Clifford C, Harlan W, Henderson M, Rossouw J. Dietary fat and breast cancer: where we are (letter). J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:1776-7.
118. Freedman LS, Midthune DN, Brown CC, Steele V, Kelloff G. Statistical analysis of animal cancer chemoprevention experiments. Biometrics 1993;49:259-68.
119. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Schiffman M. An epidemiologic perspective on biomarkers. J Intern Med 1993;223:75-9.
120. Kipnis V, Freedman LS, Brown CC, Hartman A, Schatzkin A, Wacholder S. Interpretation of energy adjustment models for nutritional epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 1993;137:1376-80.
121. Freedman LS, Machin D. Pathology review in cancer research (Editorial). Br J Cancer 1993;68:827-30.
122. Boone CW, Kelloff GJ, Freedman LS. Intraepithelial and postinvasive neoplasia as a stochastic continuum of clonal evolution and its relationship to mechanisms of chemopreventive drug action. J Cell Biochem 1993;(suppl 17G):14-25.
123. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS, Parmar MKB. Applying Bayesian ideas in drug development and clinical trials. Stat Med 1993;12:1501-17.
124. Landin R, Freedman LS. Estimating correlations between questionnaires and food records/true dietary intakes. Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods 1993;22:2327-40.
125. Brown CC, Kipnis V, Freedman LS, Hartman AM, Schatzkin A, Wacholder S. Energy adjustment methods for nutritional epidemiology: the effect of categorization. Am J Epidemiol 1994;139:323-38.
126. Freedman LS. Meta-analysis of animal experiments on dietary fat intake and mammary tumors. Stat Med 1994;13:709-18.
127. Parmar MKB, Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. The CHART Trials: design and monitoring. Stat Med 1994;13:1297-312.
128. Freedman LS, Clifford CK. Meta-analysis of animal experiments: elucidating relationships between dietary fat and mammary tumor development in rodents. Adv Exp Med Biol 1994;364:93-100.
129. Schiffman M, Freedman LS. Epidemiologic evidence showing that human papillomavirus infection causes most cervical intaepithelial neoplasia - response (letter). J Natl Cancer Inst 1994;86:392-3.
130. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS. Response to Jacobson and Neugut on “Interpreting precursor studies: what polyp trials tell us about large-bowel cancer” (letter). J Natl Cancer Inst 1994;86:1648-9.
131. Freedman LS, Spiegelhalter DJ, Parmar MKB. The what, why and how of Bayesian clinical trials monitoring. Stat Med 1994;13:1371-84.
132. Green SB, Freedman LS. Early stopping of prevention trials when multiple outcomes are of interest: a discussion. Stat Med 1994;13:1479-84.
133. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Dawsey SM, Lanza E. Interpreting precursor studies: what polyp trials tell us about large bowel cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994;86:1053-7.
134. Grossman J, Parmar MKB, Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS. A unified method for monitoring and analysing controlled trials. Stat Med 1994;13:1815-26.
135. Wacholder S, Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Kipnis V, Hartman A, Brown CC. Can energy adjustment separate the effects of energy from those of specific macronutrients? Am J Epidemiol 1994;140:848-55.
136. Spiegelhalter DJ, Freedman LS, Parmar MKB. Bayesian approaches to randomized trials. JRSS Series A 1994;157:357-416.
137. The COMMIT Research Group. Community Intervention Trial for Smoking Cessation (COMMIT): I. Cohort results from a four-year community intervention. Am J Public Health 1995;85(2):183-92.
138. The COMMIT Research Group. Community Intervention Trial for Smoking Cessation (COMMIT): II. Changes in adult cigarette smoking prevalence. Am J Public Health 1995;85(2):193-200.
139. Landin R, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ. Adjusting for time trends when estimating the relationship between dietary intake obtained from a food frequency questionnaire and true average intake. Biometrics 1995;51:169-81.
140. Freedman LS, Simon R, Foulkes MA, Friedman L, Geller NL, Gordon DJ, Mowery R. Inclusion of women and minorities in clinical trials and the NIH Revitalization Act of 1993—the perspective of NIH clinical trialists (with discussion). Controlled Clin Trials 1995;16:277-85, 310-12.
141. Schatzkin A, Goldstein A, Freedman LS. From family to population? Problems in establishing causality from the molecular genetics of cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:1126-30.
142. Baker SG, Freedman LS. The potential impact of genetic testing on cancer prevention trials. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:1137-44.
143. Green SB, Corle DK, Gail MH, Mark SD, Pee D, Freedman LS, Graubard BI, Lynn WR. Interplay between design and analysis for behavioral intervention trials with community as the unit of randomization. Am J Epidemiol 1995;142(6):587-93.
144. Freedman LS, Byar DP, Herzberg AM. Identifying which sets of parameters are simultaneously estimable in an incomplete factorial design. The Statistician 1995;44:451-6.
145. Wacholder S, Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Kipnis V, Hartman A, Brown CC. Re: “Can energy adjustment separate the effect of energy from those of specific macronutrients?” The authors reply (letter). Am J Epidemiol 1995;142:226.
146. Cohen-Mansfield J, Werner P, Freedman LS. Sleep and agitation in agitated nursing home residents: an observational study. Sleep 1995;18:674-680.
147. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Lanza E, Tangrea J. Diet and colorectal cancer: still an open question. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:1733-1735.
148. Caplan LS, Helzlsouer KJ, Shapiro S, Coates RJ, Freedman LS, Edwards BK. System delay in breast cancer in whites and blacks. Am J Epidemiol 1995;142:804-12.
149. Carroll RJ, Freedman LS, Hartman AM. The use of semiquantitative food frequency questionnaires to estimate the distribution of usual intake. Am J Epidemiol 1996;143(4):392-404.
150. Freedman LS, Anderson G, Kipnis V, Prentice R, Wang CY, Rossouw J, Wittes J, DeMets D. Approaches to monitoring the results of long-term disease prevention trials: examples from the Women’s Health Initiative. Controlled Clin Trials, 1996;17:509-25.
151. Prentice RL, Rossouw JR, Johnson SR, Freedman LS, McTiernan A. The role of randomized controlled trials in assessing the benefits of long-term hormone replacement therapy: example of the Women’s Health Initiative. Menopause 1996;3:71-6.
152. Kafadar K, Freedman LS, Goodall CR, Tukey JW. Urbanicity-related trends in lung cancer mortality in US counties: white females and white males, 1970-1987. Int J Epidemiol 1996;25:918-32.
153. Geller N, Freedman L, Lee YJ, Dersimonian R (Eds). The impact of meta-analysis on designing and monitoring clinical trials: proceedings of a conference. Stat Med, 1996;15:1249-52.
154. Schatzkin A, Lanza E, Freedman LS, Tangrea J, Cooper MR, Marshall JR, Murphy PA, Selby JV, Shike M, Schade RR, Burt RW,Kikendall W, Cahill J for the PPT Study Group. The Polyp Prevention Trial: I. Rationale, design, recruitment, and baseline participant characterisitics. Cancer Epidemiol Biom Prev 1996;5:375-83.
155. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Dorgan J, McShane L, Schiffman M, Dawsey S. Surrogate endpoints in cancer research: handle with care (editorial). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1996;5:947-53.
156. Freedman LS. Bayesian statistical methods: a natural way to assess clinical evidence. Br Med J 1996;313:569-70.
157. Albanes D, Heinonen OP, Taylor PR, Virtamo J, Edwards BK, Rautalahti M, Hartman AM, Palmgren J, Freedman LS, Haapakoski J, Barrett MJ, Pietinen P, Malila N, Tala E, Liippo K, Salomaa E-R, Tangrea JA, Teppo L, Askin FL, Taskinen E, Erozan Y, Greenwald P, Huttunen JK. Alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene supplements and lung cancer in the Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene Cancer Prevention Study: effects of baseline characteristics and study compliance. J Nat Cancer Inst 1996;88:1560-70.
158. Freedman LS, Midthune DN, Brown CC. Statistical Analysis of Animal Cancer Chemoprevention Experiments: Reply to a letter. Biometrics 1996;52:1157.
159. Tolley DA, Parmar MK, Grigor KM, Lallemond G, Benyon LL, Fellows J, Freedman LS, Hall RR, Hargreave TB, Munson K, Newling DW, Richards B, Robinson MR, Rose MB, Smith PH, Williams JL, Whelan P. The effect of intravesical mitomycin C on recurrence of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer: a further report with 7 years of follow-up. J Urol 1996; 155:1233-8.
160. Freedman LS, Gail MH, Green SB, Corle DK for the COMMIT Research Group. The efficiency of the matched pairs design of the Community Intervention Trial for Smoking Cessation (COMMIT). Controlled Clin Trials 1997;18:131-139.
161. Simon R, Freedman LS. Bayesian design and analysis of 2x2 factorial clinical trials. Biometrics 1997;53:456-64.
162. Freedman LS, Kipnis V, Brown CC, Schatzkin A, Wacholder S, Hartman AM. Comments on “Adjustment for total energy intake in epidemiological studies”. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;65(Suppl):1229S-31S.
163. Carroll RJ, Pee D, Freedman LS, Brown CC. The statistical design of a calibration substudy depends on its primary goal. Am J Clin Nutr, 1997;65(suppl):1187S-1189S
164. Thompson FE, Moler JE, Freedman LS, Clifford CK, Stables GJ, Willett WC. Register of dietary assessment calibration/validation studies: a status report. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;65(suppl):1142S-1147S.
165. Carroll RJ, Freedman LS, Pee D. Design aspects of calibration studies in nutrition, with analysis of missing data in linear measurement error models. Biometrics 1997; 53:1440-57.
166. Kipnis V, Freedman LS, Wacholder S, Brown CC, Hartman AM, Schatzkin A. The effect of measurement error on energy-adjustment models in nutritional epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 146:842-855.
167. Kulldorf M, Feuer EJ, Miller BA, Freedman LS. Breast cancer clusters in Northeastern United States: a geographical analysis. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 146:161-170.
168. Fay MP, Freedman LS, and Clifford C. Further meta-analysis of animal experiments in dietary fat and mammary tumors. Cancer Research 1997; 57:3979-3988.
169. Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Dorgan J, McShane L, Schiffman M, Dawsey S. Using and interpreting surrogate endpoints in cancer research: handle with care. IARC Sci Publ 1997; (142):265-271.
170. Fay MP, Freedman LS. Meta-analysis of dietary fats and mammary neoplasms in rodent experiments. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1997; 46:215-23.
171. Prentice RL, Anderson G, Cummings S, Freedman LS, Furberg C, Henderson M, Johnson SR, Kuller L, Manson J, Oberman A, Rossouw JE. Design of the Women’s Health Initiative Clinical Trial. Controlled Clin Trials 1998; 19:61-109.
172. Fay M, Graubard BI, Freedman LS. Conditional logistic regression with sandwich estimators: application to a meta-analysis. Biometrics 1998; 54:195-208.
173. Geva E, Lerner-Geva L, Stavorovsky Z, Modan B, Freedman LS, Amit A, Yovel I, Lessing JB. Multifetal pregnancy reduction - a possible risk factor for periventricular leukomalacia in premature newborns. Fertil Steril, 1998; 69:845-50.
174. Modan B, Ron E, Lerner-Geva L, Blumstein T, Menczer J, Rabinovici J, Oelsner G, Freedman LS, Mashiach S, Lunenfeld B. Cancer incidence in a cohort of infertile women. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 147:1038-42.
175. McShane LM, Schatzkin A, Wargovich MJ, Woods C, Purewal M, Freedman LS, Burt RW, Mateski DJ, Lawson M, Lanza E, Kulldorf M, O’Brien B, Lake W Jr, Moler, J. An evaluation of rectal mucosal proliferation measure variability sources in the Polyp Prevention Trial: can we detect informative differences among individuals' proliferation measures amid the noise?. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 1998; 7: 605-612.
176. Carroll RJ, Freedman LS, Kipnis V. Measurement error and dietary intake. Adv Exp Med Biol 1998; 445:139-145.
177. Freedman LS. Methodology of randomized clinical trials. In “Clinical Trials in Cardiovascular Disease” Eds. Hennekens C and Buring JE, Raven Press, New York, 1999.
178. Freedman LS. What is quantitative significance and is it useful? Stat Med, 1999; 18: 2583-2584.
179. Kipnis V, Carroll RJ, Freedman LS, Li L. Implications of a new dietary measurement error model for estimation of relative risk: application to four calibration studies. Am J Epidemiol, 1999; 150: 642-651.
180. Gail MH, Costantino JP, Bryant J, Croyle RT, Freedman LS, Helzlsouer KJ, Vogel VG. Weighing the risks and benefits of tamoxifen for preventing breast cancer. J Nat Cancer Inst, 1999; 91:1829-1846.
181. Cronin KA, Freedman LS, Lieberman R, Weiss HL, Beenken SW, Kelloff GJ. Bayesian monitoring of phase II trials in cancer chemoprevention. J Clin Epidemiol, 1999; 52: 705-711.
182. Geller N, Freedman LS, Lee YJ, DerSimonian R. Conference on meta-analysis in the design and monitoring of clinical trials. Stat Med, 1999; 18: 753-754.
183. Cohen YC, Rubin HR, Freedman LS, Mozes B. Use of a clustered model to identify factors affecting hospital length of stay. J. Clin Epidemiol, 1999; 52: 1031-1036.
184. Silbermann M, Freedman LS, Al-Kayed S, Barchana M, Boyiadzis M, El-Najjar K, Ibrahim AS, Salhab AR, Young JL, Roffers S, Qasem BM, Harford J. Cancer registration in the Middle East (Letter). Med J Islamic Acad Sci, 1999; 12:55-56.
185. Fayers PM, Cuschieri A, Fielding J, Craven J,Uscinska B, Freedman LS. Sample size calculation for clinical trials: the impact of surgical beliefs. Br J Cancer 2000; 82:213-219.
186. Sadetzki S, Modan B, Chetrit A, Freedman LS. An iatrogenic epidemic of brain meningioma. Am J Epidemiol 2000;151:266-272.
187. Freedman LS. The next ten years of biostatistics. Statistics in Medical Research 2000, 9: 25-30.
188. Schatzkin A, Lanza E, Corle D, Lance P, Iber F, Caan B, Shike M, Weissfeld J, Burt R, Cooper MR, Kikendall JW, Cahill J, Freedman L, Marshall J, Schoen RE, Slattery M and Polyp Prevention Trial Study Group. Lack of effect of a low fat, high fiber diet on the recurrence of colorectal adenomas. New Engl J Med 2000; 342:1149-1155.
189. Lubin F, Modan B, Farbstein H, Chetrit A, Farbstein M, Alfandary E, Freedman LS. The role of nutritional habits during gestation and child life in pediatric brain tumor etiology. Int J Cancer 2000; 86:139-143.
190. Iscovich J, Fischbein A, Fisher-Fischbein J, Freedman LS, Eng SM, Boffetta P, Vudovich A, Glasman C, Goldschmidt R, Livingston M, Heger-Maslansky B, Brennan P, Moore PS. Seroprevalence of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus in healthy adults in Israel. Anticancer Res 2000; 20:2119-2122.
191. Kulldorff M, McShane LM, Schatzkin A, Freedman LS, Wargovich MJ, Woods C, Purewal M, Burt RW, Lawson M, Mateski DJ, Lanza E, Corle DK, O'Brien B, Moler J. Measuring cell proliferation in the rectal mucosa. comparing bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) assays.
J Clin Epidemiol. 2000;53:875-883.
192. Cohen YC, Hassin-Baer S, Olmer L, Barishev R, Goldhammer Y, Freedman LS, Mozes B. MS-CANE: a computer-aided instrument for neurological evaluation of patients with multiple sclerosis: enhanced reliability of expanded disability status scale (EDSS) assessment. Mult Scler 2000;6:355-61.
193. McShane LM, Midthune DN, Dorgan JF, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ. Covariate measurement error adjustment for matched case-control studies. Biometrics 2001; 57:62-73.
194. Freedman LS, Al-Kayed S, Barchana M, Boyiadzis M, Harford J, Ibrahim AS, Roffers S, Salhab A, Young JL, Silbermann M. Cancer registration in the Middle East. Epidemiology. 2001;12:131-133.
195. Lanza E, Schatzkin A, Daston C, Corle D, Freedman LS, Ballard-Barbash R, Caan B, Lance P, Marshall J, Iber F, Shike M, Weissfeld J, Slattery M, Paskett E, Mateski D and PPT Study Group. Implementation of a 4-year high fiber, high fruit/vegetable, low fat dietary intervention: results of dietary changes in the Polyp Prevention Trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74:387-401.
196. Kipnis V, Midthune D, Freedman LS, Bingham S, Schatzkin A, Subar A, Carroll RJ. Empirical evidence of correlated biases in dietary assessment instruments and its implications. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153:394-403.
197. Freedman LS. Confidence intervals and statistical power of the validation ratio for surrogate or intermediate endpoints. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 2001, 96:143-153.
198. Oberbaum M; Yaniv I; Ben-GalY; Stein J; Ben-Zvi N; Freedman LS; Branski D. The homeopathic medication Traumeel S as a treatment for chemotherapy-induced stomatitis. Cancer, 2001, 92:684-690.
199. Weiss HL, Urban DA, Grizzle WE, Cronin KA, Freedman LS, Kelloff GJ, Lieberman R. Bayesian monitoring of a phase 2 chemoprevention trial in high-risk cohorts for prostate cancer. Urology 2001;57:220-223.
200. Balan S, Leibovitz A, Freedman LS, Blagman B, Mishiev R, Shapira A, Habot B. Seasonal variation in the incidence of delirium among the patients of a geriatric hospital. Arch Gerontol Geriatrics 2001; 33:287-293.
201. Modan-Moses D, Kanety H, Dagan O, Pariente C, Ben-Abraham R, Freedman LS, Prince T, Shimon I, Barzilay Z, Paret G. Circulating leptin levels after cardiopulmonary bypass in children. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2001; 15:740-744.
202. Schatzkin A, Subar AF, Thompson FE, Harlan LC, Tangrea J, Hollenbeck AR, Hurwitz PE, Coyle L, Schussler N, Michaud DS, Freedman LS, Brown CC, Midthune D, Kipnis V. Design and serendipity in establishing a large cohort with wide dietary intake distributions : the National Institutes of Health-American Association of Retired Persons Diet and Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 154:1119-1125.
204. Kipnis V, Midthune D, Freedman LS, Bingham S, Day NE, Riboli E, Ferrari P, Carroll RJ. Bias in dietary-report instruments and its implications for nutritional epidemiology. Public Health Nutrition, 2002; 5:915-923.
206. Lubin F, Chetrit A, Freedman LS, Alfandary E, Fishler Y, Nitzan H, Zultan A, Modan B. Body mass index at age 18 years and during adult life and ovarian cancer risk. Am J Epidemiol 2003, 157:113-120.
207. Murad H, Lavon A, Sadetzki S, Geyer O, Freedman LS. Small samples and ordered logistic regression: does it help to collapse categories of outcome? The American Statistician 2003, 57:155-160.
208. Freedman LS, Barchana M, Al-Kayed S, Qasem MB, Young JL, Edwards BK, Ries LAG, Roffers S, Harford J, Silbermann M. A comparison of population-based cancer incidence rates in Israel and Jordan. Eur J Cancer Prev 2003, 12:359-365.
209. Baker SJ, Freedman LS. A simple method for analyzing data from a randomized trial with a missing binary outcome. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2003, 3:8. (Correction, January 2004.)
210. Schatzkin A, Kipnis V, Carroll RJ, Midthune D, Subar AF, Bingham S, Schoeller DA, Troiano R, Freedman LS. A comparison of a food frequency questionnaire with a 24-hour recall for use in an epidemiological cohort study: results from the biomarker-based OPEN study. Int J Epidemiol 2003, 32:1054-1062.
211. Giusti RM, Rutter JL, Duray PH, Freedman LS, Konichezky M, Fisher-Fischbein J, Greene MH, Maslansky B, Fischbein A, Gruber SB, Rennert G, Ronchetti RD, Hewitt SM, Struewing JP, Iscovich J, and the Israeli BRCA Prostate Cancer Working Group. A Two-Fold Increase in BRCA Mutation-Related Prostate Cancer Among Ashkenazi Israelis is Not Associated with Distinctive Histopathology. J Med Gen 2003; 40:787-792.
212. Freedman LS. Methodology of randomized clinical trials. In “Clinical Trials in Cardiovascular Disease” 2nd Edition. Eds. Manson J and Buring JE, Raven Press, New York, 2003.
213. Davidov O, Murad H, Lusky A, Shinwell ES, Reichman B, Freedman LS. The analysis of the influence of birth order and other factors in multiple birth data. Stat Med, 2003; 22:3739-3753.
214. Gorfine M, Freedman LS, Shahaf G, Mehr R. Maximum likelihood estimator and likelihood ratio test in complex models: an application to B lymphocyte development. Bull Math Biol 2003; 65: 1131-1139.
215. Weeden S, Parmar MKB, Freedman LS. Bayesian Reporting of Clinical Trials. Chapter in "Contemporary Biostatistical Methods in Clinical Trials", Geller N. (Ed), Marcel Dekker, New York, 2004.
216. Liberzon E, Avigad S, Stark B, Zilberstein J, Freedman L, Gorfine M, Gavriel H, Cohen IJ, Goshen Y, Yaniv I, Zaizov R. Germ-line ATM gene alterations are associated with susceptibility to sporadic T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2004; 39: 161-166.
217. Freedman LS, Fainberg V, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Carroll RJ. A new method for dealing with measurement error in explanatory variables of regression models. Biometrics, 2004; 60:172-181.
218. Freedman LS, Midthune D, Carroll RJ, Krebs-Smith SJ, Subar AF, Troiano RP, Dodd K, Schatzkin A, Ferrari P, Kipnis V. Adjustments to improve the estimation of usual dietary intake distributions in the population. J. Nutrition 2004;134:1836-1843.
219. Prentice RL, Willett WC, Greenwald P, Alberts D, Bernstein L, Boyd NF, Byers T, Clinton SK, Fraser G, Freedman L, Hunter D, Kipnis V, Kolonel LN, Kristal BS, Kristal A, Lampe JW, McTiernan A, Milner J, Patterson RE, Potter JD, Riboli E, Schatzkin A, Yates A, Yetley E. Nutrition and physical activity and chronic disease prevention: research strategies and recommendations. J. Natl. Cancer Inst 2004; 96:1276-1287.
220. Freedman LS. Discussion of "Assessing surrogates as trial endpoints using mixed models", Stat Med, 2005; 24:183-185.
221. Sadetzki S, Chetrit A, Freedman LS, Stovall M, Modan B, Novikov I. Long-term follow-up for brain tumor development after childhood exposure to ionizing radiation for tinea captis. Radiation Research 2005; 163:424-432.
222. Novikov I, Oberman B, Freedman LS. Modification of the computational procedure in Parker and Bregman's method of calculating sample size from matched case-control studies with a dichotomous exposure. Biometrics 2005; 61:1123-1126. Erratum on p.1128 of same issue.
223. Romano-Zelekha O, Freedman L, Olmer L, Green MS, Shohat T; The Israel Network for Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Should fetal weight growth curves be population specific? Prenat Diagn 2005; 8:709-714.
224. Baker SJ, Fitzmaurice G, Freedman LS, Kramer B. Simple adjustments for randomized trials with nonrandomly missing or censored outcomes arising from informative covariates. Biostatistics 2006; 7:29-40.
225. Carroll RJ, Midthune D, Freedman LS, Kipnis V. Seemingly unrelated measurement error models, with application to nutritional epidemiology. Biometrics 2006; 62:75-84.
226. Dodd KW, Guenther PM, Freedman LS, Subar AF, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Tooze JA, Krebs-Smith SM. Statistical methods for estimating usual intake of nutrients and foods: a review of the theory. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:1640-1650.
227. Freedman LS, Edwards BE, Ries LAG, Young JL (eds). Cancer Incidence in Four Member Countries (Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, Jordan) of the Middle East Cancer Consortium (MECC) Compared with US SEER. National Cancer Institute. 2006. NIH Pub. No. 06-5873. Bethesda, MD.
228. Freedman LS, Potischman N, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Schatzkin A, Thompson FE, Troiano RP, Prentice R, Patterson R, Carroll RJ, Subar AF. A comparison of two dietary instruments for evaluating the fat - breast cancer relationship. Int J Epidemiol 2006; 35:1011-1021.
229. Subar AF, Dodd KW, Guenther PM, Kipnis V, Midthune D, McDowell M, Tooze JA, Freedman LS, Krebs-Smith SM. The Food Propensity Questionnaire (FPQ): concept, development and validation for use as a covariate in model to estimate usual food intake. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:1556-1563.
230. Tooze JA, Midthune D, Dodd KW, Freedman LS, Krebs-Smith SM, Subar AF, Guenther PM, Carroll RJ, Kipnis V. A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distribution. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:1575-1587.
231. Freedman LS. MECC tracks cancer incidence through international collaboration. NCI Cancer Bulletin 2006; 3 (21):8.
232. Lubin F, Chetrit A, Modan B, Freedman LS. Dietary intake changes and their association with ovarian cancer risk. J Nutrition 2006; 136:2362-2367.
233. Paz-Elizur T, Ben-Yosef R, Elinger D, Vexler A, Krupsky M, Berrebi A, Shani A, Schechtman, Freedman L and Livneh Z. Reduced Repair of the Oxidative DNA Damage 8-Oxoguanine and the Risk of Head and Neck Cancer. Cancer Research 2006; 66:1683-1689.
234. Gorfine M, Lipshtat N, Freedman LS, Prentice RL. Linear measurement error models with restricted sampling. Biometrics 2007; 63:137-142.
235. Freedman LS. Quantitative science methods for biomarker validation in chemoprevention trials. Cancer Biomarkers, 2007; 3:135-140.
236. Murad H, Kalter-Leibovici O, Chetrit A, Freedman LS. A statistical comparison of different family history scores. Stat Med 2007; 26:2785-2798.
237. Colton T, Freedman LS, Johnson AL. Statistics in Medicine: A celebration of 25 years. Stat Med 2007; 26:473-483.
238. Thiébaut AC, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ, Kipnis V. Is it necessary to correct for measurement error in nutritional epidemiology? Ann Intern Med 2007; 146:65-67.
239. Murad H, Freedman LS. Estimating and testing interactions in linear regression models when explanatory variables are subject to classical measurement error. Stat Med 2007; 26:4293-4310.
240. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A, Potischman N, Subar AF, Thiebaut ACM, Thompson FE, Kipnis V. Abandon neither the food frequency questionnaire, nor the dietary fat-breast cancer hypothesis (Letter). Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 2007; 16:1321-1322.
241. Shmueli A, Messika D, Murad H, Freedman L. Does greater exposure to own-health data make a difference on the visual analog scale? Eur J Health Econ 2008; 9:63-67.
242. Thompson FE, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ, Subar AF, Brown CC, Butcher MS, Mouw T, Leitzmann M, Schatzkin A. Performance of a Food Frequency Questionnaire in the U.S. National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study. Public Health Nutr 2008; 11:183-195.
243. Thiébaut ACM, Kipnis V, Schatzkin A, Freedman LS. The role of dietary measurement error in investigating the hypothesized link between dietary fat intake and breast cancer—a story with twists and turns. Cancer Investigation 2008; 26:68-73.
244. Midthune D, Kipnis V, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ. Binary regression in truncated samples, with application to comparing dietary instruments in a large prospective study. Biometrics 2008; 64:289-98.
245. Yanetz R, Kipnis V, Carroll RJ, Dodd KW, Subar AF, Schatzkin A, Freedman LS. Using biomarker data to adjust estimates of the distribution of usual intakes for misreporting: application to energy intake in the US population. J Am Diet Assoc 2008; 108: 455-64.
246. Freedman LS, Kipnis V, Schatzkin A, Potischman N. Methods of Epidemiology: Evaluating the Fat - Breast Cancer Hypothesis: Comparing Dietary Instruments and Other Developments. Cancer J 2008; 14:69-74.
247. Sadetzki S, Chetrit A, Jarus-Hakak A, Cardis E, Deutch Y, Duvdevani S, Zultan A, Novikov I, Freedman L, Wolf M. Cellular phone use and risk of benign and malignant parotid gland tumors--a nationwide case-control study. Am J Epidemiol 2008; 167:457-467.
248. Freedman LS, Midthune D, Carroll RJ, Kipnis V. A comparison of regression calibration, moment reconstruction and imputation for adjusting for covariate measurement error in regression. Stat Med 2008; 27:5195-5216.
249. Freedman LS, Guenther PM, Krebs-Smith SM, Kott PS. A population’s mean Healthy Eating Index 2005 scores are best estimated by the score of the population ratio when one 24-hour recall is available. J Nutr 2008; 138:1725-1729.
250. Freedman LS. An analysis of the controversy over one-sided tests. Clinical Trials 2008; 5:635-640.
251. Kipnis V, Freedman LS. Impact of exposure measurement error in nutritional epidemiology (Editorial). J Nat Can Inst 2008; 100:1658-1659.
252. Kipnis V, Midthune D, Buckman DW, Dodd KW, Guenther PM, Krebs-Smith SM, Subar AF, Tooze JA, Carroll RJ, Freedman LS. Modeling data with excess zeros and measurement error: application to evaluating relationships between episodically consumed foods and health outcomes. Biometrics 2009; 65:1003-1010.
253. Yagupsky P, Weiss-Salz I, Fluss R, Freedman LS, Peled N, Trefler R, Porat N, Dagan R. Dissemination of the emerging pathogen Kingella kingae in the community and long-term persistence of invasive clones. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2009; 28:707-710.
254. Lukasiewicz E, Gorfine M, Freedman LS, Pawlotsky JM, Schalm SW, Ferrari C, Zeuzem S, Neumann AU for the DITTO-HCV Study Group. Prediction of Non-SVR to Therapy with Pegylated Interferon-α2a and Ribavirin in Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 1 Patients after 4, 8 and 12 Weeks of Treatment. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2010; 17:345-351.
255. Freedman LS, Oberman B, Sadetzki S. Using time-dependent covariate analysis to elucidate the relationship of smoking history to Warthin’s tumor risk. Am J Epidemiol 2009; 170:1178-1185.
256. Wolf I, Laitman Y, Rubinek T, Abramovitz L, Novikov I, Beeri R, Kuro-O M, Koeffler HP, Catane R, Freedman LS, Levy-Lahad E, Karlan BY, Friedman E, Kaufman B. Function variant of KLOTHO: a breast cancer risk modifier among BRCA1 mutation carriers of Ashkenazi origin. Oncogene 2010; 29:26-33.
257. Novikov I, Fund N, Freedman LS. A modified approach to estimating sample size for simple logistic regression with one continuous covariate. Stat Med 2010; 29:97-107.
258. Freedman LS, Guenther PM, Dodd KW, Krebs-Smith SM, Midthune D. The population distribution of ratios of usual intakes of dietary components that are consumed every day can be estimated from repeated 24-hour recalls. J Nutrition 2010; 140:111-116.
259. Freedman LS, Kipnis V, Schatzkin A, Tasevska N, Potischman N. Can we use biomarkers in combination with self-reports to strengthen the analysis of nutritional epidemiologic studies? Epidemiologic Perspectives & Innovations 2010, 7:2.
260. Cohen-Mansfield J, Marx MS, Dakheel-Ali M, Regier NG, Thein K, Freedman LS. Can agitated behavior of nursing home residents with dementia be prevented with the use of standardized stimuli? J Am Geriat Soc 2010; 58:1459-1464.
261. Singer RS, Amit-Kohn M, Weiss S, Rosenblum J, Maoz G, Samuels N, Lukasiewicz E, Freedman LS, Paltiel O, Itzchaki M, Niska M, Oberbaum M.
Traumeel S for pain relief following Hallux Valgus surgery: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Clinical Pharmacology 2010, 10:9.
262. Lukasiewicz E, Gorfine M, Neumann AU, Freedman LS. Combining longitudinal discriminant analysis and partial area under the ROC curve to predict non-response to treatment for Hepatitis C virus. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2011; 20:275-289.
263. Cohen YC, Scaradavou A, Stevens CE, Rubinstein P, Gluckman E, Rocha V, Horowitz MM, Eapen M, Nagler A, Shpall EJ, Laughlin MJ, Daniely Y, Pacheco D, Barishev R, Olmer L, Freedman LS. Factors Affecting Mortality following Myeloablative Cord Blood Transplantation in Adults: a Pooled Analysis of Three International Registries. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2011; 46:70-76.
264. Freedman LS, Tasevska N, Kipnis V, Schatzkin A, Mares J, Tinker L, Potsichman N. Gains in statistical power from using a dietary biomarker in combination with self-reported intake to strengthen the analysis of a diet-disease relationship – an example from CAREDS. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 172:836-842.
265. Freedman LS, Guenther PM, Dodd KW, Krebs-Smith SM, Midthune D. A population's distribution of Healthy Eating Index-2005 component scores can be estimated when more than one 24-hour recall is available. J Nutr 2010; 140:1529-1534.
266. Kalter-Leibovici O, Younis-Zeidan N, Atamna A, Lubin F, Alpert G, Chetrit A, Novikov I, Daoud N, Freedman LS. Lifestyle intervention in obese Arab women; a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170:970-976.
267. Tooze JA, Kipnis V, Buckman DW, Carroll RJ, Freedman LS, Guenther PM, Krebs-Smith SM, Subar AF, Dodd KW. A mixed-effects model approach for estimating the distribution of usual intake of nutrients: the NCI method. Stat Med 2010; 29:2857-2868.
268. Cohen-Mansfield J, Marx MS, Freedman LS, Murad H, Regier NG, Thein K, Dakheel-Ali M. The comprehensive process model of engagement. Am J Geriat Psychiat 2011; 19:859-870.
269. Friedler S, Glasser S, Azani L, Freedman LS, Raziel A, Stassburger D, Ron-El R, Lerner-Geva L. The effect of medical clowning on pregnancy rates following in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET). Fertility and Sterility 2011; 95:2127-2130.
270. Midthune D, Schatzkin A, Subar AF, Thompson FE, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ, Shumakovich MA, Kipnis V. Validating an FFQ for intake of episodically consumed foods: application to the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study. Pub Hlth Nutr 2011; 14:1212-1221.
271. Freedman LS, Schatzkin A, Midthune D, Kipnis V. Dealing with dietary measurement error in nutritional cohort studies. J Nat Can Inst 2011; 103:1086-1092.
272. Freedman LS, , Midthune D, Carroll RJ, Tasevska N, Schatzkin A, Mares J, Tinker L, Potischman N, Kipnis V. Using regression calibration equations that combine self-reported intake and biomarker measures to obtain unbiased estimates and more powerful tests of dietary associations. Am J Epidemiol 2011; 174:1238-1245.
273. Zhang S, Midthune D, Guenther PM, Krebs-Smith SM, Kipnis V, Dodd KW, Buckman DW, Tooze JA, Freedman L, Carroll RJ. A new multivariate measurement error model with zero-inflated dietary data, and its application to dietary assessment. Ann Appl Stat 2011; 5:1456-1487.
274. Sadetzki S, Chetrit A, Mandelzweig L, Nahon D, Freedman LS, Susser E, Gross R. Childhood exposure to ionizing radiation to the head and risk of schizophrenia. Radiation Research 2011; 176:670-677.
275. Cohen-Mansfield J, Thein K, Marx MS, Dakheel-Ali M, Murad H, Freedman LS. The relationship of environmental and personal characteristics in nursing home residents with dementia. J Clin Psychiat 2012; 73:392-399.
276. Carroll RJ, Midthune D, Subar AF, Shumakovich M, Freedman LS, Thompson FE, Kipnis V. Taking advantage of the strengths of two different dietary assessment instruments to improve intake estimates for nutritional epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 2012; 175:340-347.
277. Pérez A, Zhang S, Kipnis V, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ. An R function for fitting a bivariate measurement error model to estimate usual and energy intake for episodically consumed foods. Journal of Statistical Software 2012; 46:1-15.
278. Abu-Saad K, Shahar DR, Fraser D, Vardi H, Friger M, Bolotin A, Freedman LS. Adequacy of usual dietary intake and nutritional status among pregant women in the context of nutrition transition: the DEPOSIT Study. British Journal of Nutrition 2012; 23:1-10.
279. Sencer SF, Zhou T, Freedman LS, Ives JA, Chen Z, Wall D, Nieder ML, Grupp S, Yu LC, Sahdev I, Jonas WB, Oberbaum M. Traumeel® S in preventing and treating mucositis in young patients undergoing stem cell transplantation: a report of the Children’s Oncology Group. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2012; 47:1409-1414.
280. Cohen-Mansfield J, Marx MS, Freedman LS, Murad H, Thein K, Dakheel-Ali M. What affects pleasure in persons with advanced stage dementia? J Psychiatr Res 2012; 46:402-406.
281. Yanovich R, Friedman E, Milgrom R, Oberman B, Freedman L, Moran DS. Candidate gene analysis in Israeli soldiers with stress fractures. J Sport Sci Med 2012; 11:147-155.
282. Kalter-Leibovici O, Freedman LS, Olmer L, Liebermann N, Heymann A, Tal O, Lerner-Geva L, Melamed N, Hod M. Critical appraisal of the new International Association of Diabetes in Pregancy Study Group recommendations on a national level. Diabetes Care 2012; 35:1894-1896.
283. Leitner-Dagan Y, Sevilya Z, Pinchev M, Kramer R, Elinger D, Roisman LC, Rennert HS, Schechtman E, Freedman L, Rennert G, Livneh Z, Paz-Elizur T. MPG and OGG1 DNA repair activities: opposite associations with lung cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst 2012; 104:1765-1769.
284. Abu-Saad K, Murad H, Lubin F, Freedman LS, Ziv A, Alpert G, Atamna A, Kalter-Leibovici O. Jews and Arabs in the same region in Israel exhibit major differences in dietary patterns. J Nutr 2012; 108:1874-1883.
285. Kipnis V, Midthune D, Freedman LS, Carroll RJ. Regression calibration with more surrogates than mis-measured variables. Stat Med 2012; 31:2713-2732.
286. Dankner R, Balicer R, Boffetta P, Keinan Boker L, Wallenstein S, Freedman LS, Goldfracht M, Roth J, Tamler R, Leroith D. Diabetes, glucose control, glucose lowering medications, and cancer risk: A 10-year population-based historical cohort. BMC Cancer 2012; 12:364.
287. Cohen-Mansfield J, Thein K, Marx MS, Dakheel-Ali M, Freedman L. Efficacy of nonpharmocologic interventions for agitation in advanced dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2012; 73:1255-1261.
288. Fluss R, Mandel M, Freedman LS, Salz-Weiss I, Ekka-Zohar A, Haklai Z, Gordon ES, Simchen E. Correction of sampling bias in a cross-sectional study of post-surgical complications. Stat Med 2013; 32:2467-2478.
289. Subar AF, Midthune D, Tasevska N, Kipnis V, Freedman LS. Checking for completeness of 24-hour urine collection using para-amino benzoic acid (PABA) not necessary in the Observing Protein and Energy Nutrition (OPEN) Study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2013; 67:863-867.
290. Tooze JA, Troiano RP, Carroll RJ, Moshfegh AJ, Freedman LS. A measurement error model for physical activity level as measured by a questionnaire, with application to the 1999-2006 NHANES questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 2013; 177:1199-1208.
291. Murad H, Kipnis V, Freedman LS. Estimating and testing interactions when explanatory variables are subject to non-classical measuremenet error. Stat Methods Med Res 2013; in press.
292. Sevilya Z, Leitner-Dagan Y, Pinchev M, Kremer R, Elinger D, Rennert HS, Schechtmann E, Freedman L, Rennert G, Paz-Elizur T, Livneh Z. Low integrated DNA repair score and lung cancer risk. Cancer Prevention Research 2014; 7:398-406.
293. Magnezi R, Grosberg D, Novikov I, Ziv A, Shani M, Freedman LS. Characteristics of patients seeking health information online via social health networks versus general internet sites: a comparative study. Informatics for Health and Social Care 2014, in press.
294. Rozenfeld M, Radomislensky I, Freedman L, Givon A, Novikov I, Peleg K. ISS groups: are we speaking the same language? Injury Prevention 2014, 20:330-335.
295. Peleg K, Rozenfeld M, Radomislensky I, Novikov I, Freedman LS, Israeli A. Policy encouraging earlier hip fracture surgery can decrease mortality of elderly patients. Injury 2014; 45:1085-1090.
296. Freedman LS, Commins JM, Moler JE, Arab L, Baer DJ, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Moshfegh AJ, Neuhouser ML, Prentice RL, Schatzkin A, Spiegelman D, Subar AF, Tinker LF, Willett W. Pooled results from five validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for energy and protein intake. American Journal of Epidemiology 2014; 180: 172-188.
297. Leitner-Dagan Y, Sevilya Z, Pinchev M, Kremer R, Elinger D, Rennert H, Schechtman E, Freedman LS, Rennert G, Livneh Z, Paz-Elizur T. Enzymatic MPG DNA repairassays for two different oxidative DNA lesions reveal associations with increased lung cancer risk. Carcinogenesis 2014, in press.
298. Freedman LS, Commins JM, Moler JE, Willett W, Tinker LF, Subar AF, Spiegelman D, Rhodes D, Potischman N, Neuhouser ML, Moshfegh AJ, Kipnis V, Arab L, Prentice RL. Pooled results from five validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for potassium and sodium intake. American Journal of Epidemiology 2014; in press.
299. Sevilya Z, Leitner-Dagan Y, Pinchev M, Kremer R, Elinger D, Rennert HS, Freedman LS, Rennert G, Paz-Elizur T, Livneh Z. Development of APE1 enzymatic DNA repair assays: low APE1 activity is associated with increase lung cancer risk. Carcinogenesis 2015, in press.
300. Freedman LS, Midthune D, Carroll RJ, Commins JM, Arab L, Baer DJ, Moler JE, Moshfegh AJ, Neuhouser ML, Prentice RL , Rhodes D, Spiegelman D, Subar AF, Tinker LF, Willett W, Kipnis V. Application of a new statistical model for measurement error to the evaluation of dietary self-report instruments. Epidemiology 2015; in press.
301. Miller E, Huppert A, Novikov I, Warburg A, Hailu A, Abbasi I, Freedman LS. Estimation of infection prevalence and sensitivity in a stratified two-stage sampling design employing highly specific diagnostic tests when there is no gold standard. Statistics in Medicine 2015, in press.
302. Freedman LS, Carroll RJ, Neuhouser ML, Prentice RL, Spiegelman D, Subar AF, Tinker LF, Willett W. Reply to Archer and Blair (Letter to the Editor). Advances in Nutrition 2015, in press; doi:10.3945/an.115.009118.
303. Freedman LS, Midthune D, Dodd KW, Carroll RJ, Kipnis V. A statistical model for measurement error that incorporates variation over time in the target measure, with application to nutritional epidemiology. Statistics in Medicine 2015, in press.