The Institute aims to serve as a national research setting for the study of epidemiology and health policy, striving to influence health policy in Israel and assisting in its development.
The Gertner Institute was founded in 1991 by Prof. M. Shani in order to promote extensive epidemiological research on major chronic diseases and also, to assist in the formulation of national health policy. Prof. M. Shani is currently the Director of the Division of Health & Society.
The Gertner Institute is incorporated under the laws of the State of Israel as a "company for the benefit of the public. Prof Kobi Peleg is the Director of the Gertner institute Since 2019. Since 2010, Prof. Boleslaw (Bolek) Goldman serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Institute.
The institute also leads in innovative ideas related to the integration of health and society. As to its activity on aging, in 2013 it became a member of the European B3 Action Integrated Care.
The Israel Center for Disease Control and the Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research are both located in the Gertner building. Thereby, the Gertner Institute constitutes a focal point for researchers in the field of health policy research.
The Main Goals of the Institute:
- to conduct studies in accordance with the research objectives determined by the Ministry of Health.
- to plan research repositories, to develop and analyze them in collaboration with relevant sectors in the health system.
- to follow-up and evaluate dynamic processes of change and reform that are of national importance in health-related areas.
- to promote collaboration between research centers in Israel and abroad.
- To be a leader in the field of Health & Society.